Monday, May 14, 2012

Mad Donna's Brunch

So...after two recent visits to Mad Donna's on the East Side (I had never been before), I have decided to officially declare it (possibly) my favorite brunch spot in town.  Ok, Ok...I'm not going to lie...I am a tiny bit swayed by the fact that they have this...


A Bloody Mary bar.  

Fact:  Bloody Mary's are one of my favorite indulgences...especially for Sunday brunch.  However...I do not like most that are made for me...therefore I rarely order them. I'll admit I am pretty picky when it comes to this, but I like what I like.  Which is my own Bloody Mary.  Lots of hot sauce, Worcestershire, and horse radish.  In short--spicy with a lot of flavor.  So if you have a bloody mary bar, I'm pretty much sold from the start.  I'll worry about the food after I have had one of these...

So good.  And beautiful, right?!  A good Bloody Mary is a colorful one IMHO. 


And then there's the food...



What I've ordered...

The Big Don.

Grilled Provence Tuscan bread stuffed with eggs, bacon, pepper jack cheese, tomato, and dijon mayo.

Let's be honest, you can't really go wrong with these ingredients on buttered toast...so, naturally, it's seriously good.  But I especially like this bread.  I don't eat a lot of sandwiches because I always feel weighed down afterwards, but this bread is really light.  Balances nicely with the other heavy additions to the sandwich.  And the grits are just grits.  With melted cheese.  Pretty basic...but completely fine with me.  I don't need my grits too fancy. 

AND...


The Maltese Omelette.

Spinach, caramelized onions, tomatoes, artichoke hearts with rosemary potatoes and grits.  **I actually left off the artichoke hearts (not a fan).

As I have mentioned before, this girl loves an omelette.  A lot. And I give this one a thumbs up.  Just a good old fashioned omelette.  Nice egg consistency with a good veggie mix.  Also, it's huge.  I actually ate 1/2 for lunch and the rest for my dinner.  I was a little skeptical about the potatoes at first.  I usually like messy hashbrowns (whatever that means)--these were perfectly sliced bits of new potatoes with rosemary.  But, they were pretty tasty.  Tip: order a side of the gravy (or do like I did--steal from someone who ordered some) and dip them in it...unreal.  But they are pretty good without, as well.  Certainly healthier, that's for sure.  


Other plates found on the table...

Quiche of the day. 

Sausage, onion, and cheese quiche with a side salad and...gravy.  Woah, the sausage gravy.  It was one of my favorite things on the table.  After reaching over for 1/2 the meal to steal bites, I eventually just took it into my possession.  Pretty sure I was just using the potatoes as a vessel for the gravy.  Or, I was dipping everything in it, actually.  It's unreal.  I will order it as a side every time from here on out. No matter what I order.

Overheard at the table...

Ben: "Real men don't eat quiche.  You've heard that before, right?!"  They apparently eat this one, though.  Both guys at the table ordered it, in fact.  It was huge.  And really, really good...like a rich, eggy, sausagy cake.  The gravy was to top it, but he wasn't into it.  Worked out well for me and my potatoes, though.  



The Captain's French Toast.

Why The Captain's?  Because it's crusted with Cap'n Crunch.  This needs no explanation.  It's obviously amazing...unless you are that one person on this planet who doesn't like Cap'n Crunch (and I shame you).  It's definitely interesting and worth trying.  But really sweet--I'd also order a salty side to bring it down a notch.


I. Love. Brunch. 



  




No comments:

Post a Comment