Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Slice of Bama

This past weekend I went home to Alabama to celebrate "Faux Mother's Day" with my parents since I won't be able to make it home for the actual holiday.  We live in the country in the same home that we've been in since I was born (that my father built). I always love being home--being out in the country, hanging with my parents, eating great home cooked meals, spending time with our pets--it always brings me back down to earth.  I even crave it a lot of times.  

I planned while I was home to take a lot of photos of the land--it's so green and beautiful there--especially now in the Spring.  

Photos like this one...


Or this...



But instead, they all seemed to come out looking more like this...



And this...


And then even this...


But seriously...can you blame me?!  Look. at. that. face.  That's Gabe...the newest Tabor...and my newest obsession.  He deserves his very own post (obviously), so I will save all the gushy details of my love for him for now.  Wait until you see all the amazing photos I took of him this weekend.  Seriously.  It's impossible for him not to take the best picture of all time...every.single.time. 


At least I managed to combine the two (outdoor shots with a little bit of Gabe) at times...


And squeeze in one or two of the blooming plants around the property...


But wait...what's this??  Oh yes. Another earth-shatteringly cute picture of Gabe.  This time he's in the pool, y'all!


Ok, ok.  Moving on.  For now. 

Maybe shooting outdoors somewhere Gabe is not around may be less distracting.  

Like Downtown.  On the river.



I found it hard to get away from this tree.  Spanish Moss. Probably top 5 in the reasons why I loved growing up in that area.  Trees like this are everywhere along the river. I really can't think of many things more beautiful.  


While home, there was a benefit that some friends put together for Habitat for Humanity at a restaurant on the river called The New Orleans Bar & Grill.  There was a rib-off and some friends played music.

I like this shot a lot because you can see the river and The Edmond Pettus Bridge in the background...

It was a great event and I'm glad I was able to go.  Catching up with old friends, seeing some play music, while participating in something for a great cause.  Made my trip home that much better.  I do wish I had gotten a shot of the ribs from the rib-off, though.  The ones I tried were unreal.  


FYI--check out the band.  The name is Lowdown South.  




And, of course, while home I ate some seriously good food...as always.  


Mom's untouchable (trust me, I've tried) mashed potatoes...




And her grits...




How she can take two of the most basic foods and turn them into the most amazing things you have ever tasted, I will never know.  But I'm pretty sure the answer to that lies mostly with one word...Butter. I've learned to not watch the process and just sit back and enjoy.  There's always plenty of time to work it off.  And it's so, so, so worth it. 

Dad's pancakes.  A Sunday morning Tabor tradition.  Oh I love them.  


Grilled-out burgers.  Also one of my favorite things.  As you can see, though, by the time I am done with it, it's a bit more green than most would want.  What can I say?!  I love an over-dressed burger.  

  
You can see why I always seem to come back to Nashville 5 lbs happier, right?



So that's my trip home in a nutshell.  Family...pets...outdoors...great food.  And this time a little extra friend time and music, as well.  Pretty great way to spend a Faux Mother's Day.  

Of course I can't leave without one more.  

Pic of Gabe, that is...

 Obsessed.  
And I'm pretty OK with that.  
 

1 comment: